Saturday, April 15, 2006

Coming Home To Uncertainty

You may just be able to make out the forlorn figure of a pigeon in the centre of this picture. I say forlorn because he(?)appears to be looking in the direction of where his loft used to be. You see one of my neighbours has spent the last few weeks dismantling his various pigeon lofts because he is moving away to be near his grandchildren. He left yesterday. I'm not sure how racing pigeons adapt to the wild or whether they get lonely without the company of their fellow feathery friends or not - but I hope he survives and prospers. On the subject of homecomings..On New Years Eve, as my good lady and I weaved our merry way back from the local pub I picked up a Christmas tree decoration which was lying on the pavement and took it home, where I ceremoniously hung it on an outside tap. I agree with you that this is not in any way humourous or amusing - but at the time I thought it was hilarious. (Its a non-stop cacophony of mirth around here you know!). Anyway, the decoration is still there although it is looking rather tired and faded now but stands as a memorial to a happy, carefree night out. If it ever disappears or is blown away - like the melancholy pigeon - I shall be most disappointed.

No comments: