Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Thoughts from A Lighthouse

I wonder how many storms Whitby's East Lighthouse has endured since 1855? Each pit and scar on the faces of the sandstone bear testimony to fierce Northerlies, ships admonished and sailors glad to be home to wives and foaming ale. As a child I often dreamed of being a Lighthouse keeper, but I guess solitude makes a good wish but a poor reality. Ships passing on the horizon often fascinate too. Where are they going? What adventures lie ahead? I guess the reality is humming diesel engines and international red tape - but the mystery still endures. The wind was pretty fierce when I took this photo today, but I have sat on the steps of this benevolent monolith when perhaps I shouldn't have - at midnight, with waves crashing right over the pier in a force 8. Sometimes it takes powerlessness to make one feel alive..

4 comments:

Dan Hawkins said...

Hey thanks for reading my blog. You didn't sound too much like a teacher. I don't do a lot of editing on my blog. HA! I enjoyed yours as well. One of my best friends studied in England last year. I visited him and he met his wife! These two events were unrelated and were cause for unequal levels of joy I'm sure. The point is, I enjoyed my week in England and hope to visit again.
I'll check your blog out again..

Waldo said...

I'm sure he was delighted to see you Dan! A word of caution on your next visit to England though - Dont drink the dark beers AND play darts at the same time!

JJ said...

Wonderful to read another 'Yorkshire' Blog. Please keep up the good work.

Waldo said...

The pleasure is all mine Johnny! It is certainly a long way from the 'fires on spires and chinmneys of black' of my West Yorkshire youth out here - but the memories still hold strong. 'You can take the boy out of Leeds..' as they say.